Pumpkin bread, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin pie, oh my! It’s starting to feel like fall around Denver, finally, which means…bring on ALL THE PUMPKIN.
As “America’s Healthiest Grocery Store,” we are more than okay with your pumpkin obsession this season. Pumpkin has lots of vitamins and minerals packed into its adorable little shape. Here are our top five reasons (and top five recipes) why you should incorporate more pumpkin into your life this fall.
- Fiber! Pumpkin is full of fiber, a nutrient most Americans are not getting enough of in their diet. Adequate fiber intake has been shown to increase heart health, promote a healthy digestive tract, and much more. One cup of pumpkin has about 10% of your daily fiber needs, so eat up! https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/pumpkin-hummus
- Vitamin A! Pumpkin has more Vitamin A than carrots, about 200% of your daily requirements is found in one cup. Vitamin A is linked to reduced risk of certain types of cancer, better eye site, and healthful aging. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/creamy-pumpkin-brown-rice
- The seeds! When you’re cleaning out your pumpkin, make sure you keep those pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds are very high in phytosterols, which have been shown to reduce your LDL (otherwise known as bad) cholesterol. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/spicy-tamari-pumpkin-seeds
- Protein! The flesh and seeds of a pumpkin both contain lots of healthy, plant-based protein without the high amounts of fat that typically comes with meat based proteins. One ounce of pumpkin seeds contains an impressive 7 grams of protein. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/pumpkin-cranberry-oatmeal-cookies
- Flavor! We couldn’t talk about our favorite reasons to incorporate more pumpkin without mentioning how delicious it is! Whether you’re using it in a sweet dish like pumpkin pie or cheesecake or making a savory dish and turning those seeds into a pesto, pumpkin can enhance almost any fall dish. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/pumpkin-seed-pesto
Looking for more pumpkin inspiration? Visit our website and don’t forget to enter to win groceries for a year while you’re there!
*All information associated with monthly Whole Foods Market content is sponsored by Whole Foods Market as a partnership with University of Denver Athletics & Recreation, and not provided by trainers or staff of the Coors Fitness Center.