Happy New Year! January is a month for cleansing, resolutions, and reinventing oneself. Here are some tips for making 2017 your healthiest year yet:
- Know your numbers- you can’t know your current health without first knowing where you stand. Get your cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides checked.
- Focus on healthy fats, not low fat. Enjoy your fats from whole plant sources, like walnuts, avocados, and chia seeds. Healthy fats, including omega 3’s, can actually lower your heart numbers.
- Eat seasonally. Each season provides us with exactly the nutrients we need. Right now is the perfect time to enjoy citrus which is full of Vitamin C to help combat flu season. Sumo Citrus is a personal favorite, as sweet as can be and extremely easy to peel.
- Take a deep breath, go for a walk, play catch with your dog or listen to relaxing music. Take a 15 minute breather every day to reduce your stress. Stress = high blood pressure!
- Exercise! An inactive person is at a much higher risk for heart disease than someone who exercises regularly. Try a new fitness class or workout routine to spice up your routine!
- Increase your fiber intake! Eat dark leafy greens with every meal, every day. Green smoothies for breakfast, green salad for lunch, and sautéed greens for dinner.
- Surround yourself with positive, loving people. A loving support group can decrease your stress and increase your life span. As John Robbins says in his book, Healthy at 100, “There’s no point in having low cholesterol and rock hard abs if you don’t love your life.”
*All information associated with monthly Whole Foods Market content is sponsored by Whole Foods Market as a partnership with University of Denver Athletics & Recreation, and not provided by trainers or staff of the Coors Fitness Center.